Thursday 7 March 2013

Rhyl Seaquarium

Today was a filthy day, grey skies and rain. 
Mel had to complete two assignments, so, I thought it best to take Mya outside otherwise by 11am she'd have destroyed the house and decided the only fun room to be in would be the office where Mel was working.

I felt my options were either the Welsh Mountain Zoo or Rhyl Seaquarium, things to keep Mya occupied and some learning in the process.
We've done the zoo on numerous occasions, so, I opted for Rhyl Seaquarium.

The Seaquarium www.seaquarium.co.uk sits right on Rhyl seafront and a short walk from where we parked. 

On arrival I asked the lady on reception whether it was going to be busy? She took a sideways glance past me outside and then said "it might be a little quieter than usual as people may not bother coming in this weather".
Children under 3 years of age get free entrance, adult entrance is £8.75
We bought the Seaquarium programme which cost £2.00 and entitled me to a free pot of tea.

Now the under the ocean world awaited us. To my surprise it was better than I imagined, though by no account is it the best aquarium in the world/Britain.

First we saw some freshwater fish! and then we started to see some genuine sea creatures, which included lobsters, crabs, starfish, eels, tropical fish, rays, little sharks, seals. They are in the process of creating a jellyfish display too.

Mya especially liked the stairs and we spent lots of time going up and down them, she also liked splashing in the feeding pools which I don't think is allowed, however, as we were the only people in there I didn't see any harm in it.

To end the experience we walked through the under water tunnel into the cafe.

Here I redeemed my receipt for my pot of tea, Mya had a juice and we shared some biscuits.
It was from here I saw two other customers (another dad and his daughter) come through the door to experience the delights of Rhyl Seaquarium. 

I hope that during the summer the Seaquarium isn't like the Marie Celeste as although it's not the best facility it is a facility in Rhyl and Rhyl needs places for families to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment